NookColor Enable Adhoc Networking
Part of the NookColor portal
Enable connection to Ad-Hoc WiFi networks
By default, the Nook Color will not connect to ad-hoc WiFi networks. This will allow you to connect to those ad-hoc WiFi networks, such as another android phone hotspot or computer.
Cavet: This fix applies a patched Version 5 of wpa_supplicant, and most likely will not work on Nook Color Update 1.2 which uses the new Version 6 of wpa_supplicant. Until someone patches and/or re-compiles a fixed replacement version 6, users (e.g., Nook Color 1.2) with the newer version will be limited to infrastructure only WiFi access.
What you need
- adb access (see NookColor USB ADB)
- The new wpa_supplicant file from http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=461427&d=1292048964
- A program that resets WiFi when the Nook Color is brought out of sleep. Possible apps include:
- Battery Booster (free) http://www.appbrain.com/app/battery-booster/imoblife.batterybooster
- Settings Profile Full (paid) http://www.appbrain.com/app/setting-profiles-full/com.probeez.profiles
- Unzip the file to a temporary directory on your computer.
- Turn OFF WiFi on the Nook Color
- Run the following commands:
$ adb shell mount -o remount rw /system $ adb push wpa_supplicant.infrastructure /system/bin $ adb push wpa_supplicant.adhoc /system/bin $ adb push adhoc /system/bin $ adb push infrastructure /system/bin $ adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant.infrastructure $ adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant.adhoc $ adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/adhoc $ adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/infrastructure $ adb shell mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system $ adb shell adhoc
At this point, you can switch back and forth between the original and the adhoc enabled wpa_supplicant by starting a shell on the Nook Color ($adb shell) and running the following commands:
To switch to adhoc mode:
To switch to infrastructure mode:
Unfortunately after installing this modified version of wpa_supplicant WiFi acts erratically when exiting from sleep. This can be fixed by resetting WiFi after unlocking.
WiFi reset on unlock
All of the three methods described below will resolve the erratic WiFi connection problem.
New - Blade Wifi Fix - New
- Install the app Blade Wifi Fix
There have been reports that this app, designed to fix what looks like an identical issue with the Blade phone, works for the Nook Color as well. Please confirm if this works for you.
- Go to Settings > Wireless and toggle the WiFi off and then on again.
- Install Battery Booster
- Open Battery Booster app
- Select "Battery Tweak" tab batt tweak tab
- Under "On Device Lock" mark the "Turn off WiFi" check box
- Under "On Device Unlock" mark the "Turn on WiFi" check box
Setting Profiles Full
Unfortunately, Setting Profiles Lite, the free version of this app, is limited to one rule only, thus the paid version is necessary. In fairness, Setting Profiles is a very capable app, but most of its capabilities are unneeded for our purposes here.
- Install Setting Profiles Full
- Open Setting Profiles Full
- Select Menu > New Profile > WiFiOff
- Select Menu > New Profile > WiFiOn
- Create two rules, one to activate Wifi Off when Screen turns off, and another activating Wifi On when the screen turns on:
1. Rules->menu->New rule-> menu ->add condition -> Screen Status off. Menu->Add Action -> Activate Provile WiFiOff. 2. Rules->menu->New rule-> menu ->add condition -> Screen Status on. Menu->Add Action -> Activate Provile WiFiOn.